Friday, April 11, 2014

The Cheater's Club - excerpt 4


“Oh.” Harlow climbed off the bar stool and hugged Bev. Jayne followed suit and before long they were sharing a group hug, all crying.

“Bartender,” Harlow called, breaking free of the group hug. “Shots for everyone.”

He looked to the girls questioningly.

“Line them up,” Bev said.

“And just leave the bottle. It’s going to be a long night.”

The trio sat outside at the bar until the bartender put a stop to them drowning their sorrows.

“Time to wrap it up ladies. They want to close the restaurant. Finish up your drinks. Do you need me to call you a cab?”

“That might be a good idea,” Jayne said.

 They stood out front waiting for the cab, talking about Pete and Charlie’s infidelity.

“He’s a luser,” Harlow slurred. “I can’t believe I let him, liv-v-v in my house.”

“Yeah, well I haven’t divorced my cheating husband and I’m not sure I ever will.”

The reality of her statement brought a look of disbelief to Harlow.

“Why do you stay?” she asked, steadying herself with the bench.

“Sit down,” Jayne requested. “You’re too drunk to be standing.”

“I’m not drunk. I’m tipsy. I don’t get drunk.” As if to prove a point she tried to walk a straight line, only managing to stumble. Jayne caught her before she fell. “Okay, so maybe I’m a little drunk.” She held up two fingers as if measuring her alcohol level.

“Just a little,” Jayne said, easing her onto the bench. “I think I’ll take you home with me tonight.”

“You’re such a good friend.” When Harlow reached over to kiss her friend on the cheek, she pulled back.

“Let’s save the kisses for when you’re a tad more sober.”

The cab arrived and they piled in. Jayne, being the soberest of the bunch gave the driver directions to Bev’s home. Once they deposited her on her front porch, they instructed him on how to get to Jayne’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment