Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Goodbye to a Historic Site


I grew up in Watervliet, NY and lived two blocks from the historic Saint Patrick’s Church. You could see the church from our second floor windows. The building was huge and the inside beautiful.

My parents were married in the church, I made my first communion and we went to many midnight masses on Christmas Eve. I’d heard the rumors from family and friends that they planned knock down the church and put up a Price Chopper Supermarket.

Now I’m all for using unused space. I’m one who believes if a space is empty another business should use that space instead of building a new place. I just have a hard time tearing down a historic site. It broke my heart to see the pictures on friend’s facebook pages.

Here are the before and after.





No comments:

Post a Comment