Thursday, September 18, 2014

Laundry 101 for College Students - Really?

The other day I was trying to make a dent in my magazine pile – which is about 30 issues high. I subscribe to various women magazines and the cooking ones. I always read the cooking ones when they arrive, but put the others in a pile to be read at a later date.
 
Anyway, I was reading an article on Laundry 101 for College Students. I gave pause. Seriously? College students need a lesson in laundry? Have they not been taught to do laundry before leaving for college?
 
My question is who’s been doing their laundry all these years?
 
I taught my children to do their own laundry by the time they were twelve. I want my children to be self-sufficient before they enter adulthood. I don’t want them depending on me for everything. What if one day they woke up and I was gone? Would they wait until someone else came in and did their laundry?
 
One of my children had interest in doing her own clothes at 10 so I taught her. That’s not to say I’d never do their laundry again, because I would. Teaching them early gives them the opportunity to have clean clothes before mom gets to them.
 
When I was working outside my home office I could only do wash on the weekend. If one of my daughters wanted a special shirt cleaned they could do it themselves.
 
Are we seriously enabling our children until college? I can imagine my kids being college age and unable to run a washer or dryer. I’d feel like I failed them as a parent.
 
Anyone else feel this way or am I overreacting?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment