Monday, November 5, 2012

Shopping Addiction


Last week I was watching a talk show and they had a woman on who had a shopping addiction. The therapist told her it’s a momentary happiness. Once you get home, that high you were feeling will go away. I could relate. Most who know me or have gotten to know me over the last ten years will tell you I don’t like shopping. In fact it’s one of those things I despise. When I need to buy something I run in, get what I need and get out. What they really don’t know is that I’m a former shopping addict.

I used shopping to cure my depression. When I was sad over the life I was living I’d buy myself something I couldn’t afford. I’d hide it and bring it out at a later date. I became good at convincing people that I had it for a long time. The problem was my wallet felt the pain. I had to teach myself to only buy what I needed and nothing more.  

I still get a high when the hubby and I go out and buy something large. I can’t tell you how excited I get or how good I feel. But then later sometimes I have buyer’s remorse. I can admit; once we start I can’t stop. I want to keep buying.

I know I can’t shop on my own. There are still times when I have a moment of weakness. Like recently I saw a pocketbook I loved. The DH asked if I wanted it for my birthday. I shrugged and was non-committal. I didn’t want to wait…a few days later I went and bought it for myself.

Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoy buying things for myself from time to time and I deserve to. I work extremely hard and don’t spend much. I normally buy for everyone else.

I have an addictive personality. I’ve overcome a few addictions, but that’s a story for another day.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment