Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Your Marriage is Killing You


My story – Your Marriage is Killing You will be published soon in the Lemons to Lemonade Chicken Soup for the Soul book. Life is a bit ironic right now. We’ve been dealing with teen issues, some normal, some not so much. During this time I’ve had to deal with my ex-husband. I do NOT like this man, not even a little bit. He’s not a good father, but he is our daughter’s father, so I try to be civil.

During a conversation with him on Sunday I heard something that frightened me – anger. Violent anger. The worst part was my daughter was with him. I called him out on his anger and let him know if he went after our daughter he’d be in serious trouble.

I’ll be honest for a few moments I was brought back to a time when I was being abused. I didn’t like it.

So what am I going to do about it? Two things. I’m going to the courts and asking for sole custody of my daughter. She doesn’t need to deal with a crazy man and neither do I.

The second thing is I’m going to write a book. The story Your Marriage is Killing You is only the portion of the marriage. The part when I left. I’d like to help others who are in abusive situations to show them that you can get out and have a better life. It takes time, courage and an internal strength. But if you want freedom you can achieve it.

I’ve always said if I can save just one person I’d be thrilled. Don’t get me wrong, I want to save lots of women, but if my story saves one, I’ve done something successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment