Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Just Hit Send


You create your masterpiece. Polish it to within an inch of your life and then you do it. You hit the send button. Let the waiting begin. If you’re anything like me you want instant gratification. After all, with technology the way it is anything is possible. But is a response in a few hours realistic? No, definitely not. It’s not impossible though. I have to take a step back and realize I’m not the only writer editors are receiving submissions from.

It’s not easy being a writer. When you send your baby off into the big bad world it’s scary. Just thinking about my story or article idea being under a magnifying glass, viewed by a critical eye, gives me the willies. With each page that sits in from of an editor I know he or she will examine every word looking for errors and wonders if you have a unique idea/plot. She’s looking to see if you can weave a riveting tale or pique a reader’s interest in a subject.

As time goes by a million questions form in my mind. Will the editor like the story? Will she think – what the f%^& was this writer thinking? Is she laughing at my attempts to write? These are questions I ask myself every single time I send a manuscript out.

I’ve published numerous stories in the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. I wrote for True Confessions, True Romance and Modern Romance for years. My articles have appeared in many issues of Listen Magazine, Western NY Family mag and SheKnows.com, but it doesn’t ease the fear of rejection.

In my other life I’ve published 35 books…the one thing they all have in common? I hit the send button. If I hadn’t none of this would be possible.

So what are you waiting for? Just Hit Send!

No comments:

Post a Comment