Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Cheater's Club - excerpt 3


“Oh shit? You knew there was a possibility that Charlie could be cheating on me and all you can say is oh shit!” Harlow motioned for the bartender. “A shot of tequila please.”

He poured a shot. Harlow by-passed the lemon and salt, downing the harsh liquid. Biting back the urge to hurl, she requested another one.

On the third request the girls put an end to her sudden binge.

“No more,” Bev instructed the bartender. “You don’t want to be responsible for her if she gets too drunk. It’s not a pretty sight.”

The bartender put his bottle away skipping an argument.

“How could you keep this a secret from me?” Harlow growled, the effects of the tequila were taking over.

“We didn’t want to worry you over nothing. We weren’t sure there was anything to tell. If we had, we would have said something sooner.”

“We? As in both of you?” She sat up straight looking from one best friend to the other. “You both knew Charlie might be having an affair with his boss and said nothing? I’m disappointed. More so in you Jayne. I thought you of all people wouldn’t keep things from me.”

“What’s that supposed to mean, Harlow?” Bev looked insulted. “I don’t keep things from you.”

“That’s not what I’m saying. It’s just that you have this perfect life. All married with a family and a mini-van in the driveway. You don’t realize that there are snakes out there; men who can’t be trusted. Your husband is Mister perfect and faithful.”

“I’m not stupid, Harlow. I know better than you think just how unfaithful men can be,” she snapped.

That stopped them all in their tracks.

“Bev?” Harlow asked.

“What? You think I have this perfect life? Well, guess what I don’t. Pete isn’t the perfect father or husband. He’s had his share of flings with interns and nurses. I’m not blind to it. So don’t look at me all high and mighty because I didn’t tell you. Maybe I was just trying to save you from some unnecessary heartache. Besides, just because they were having dinner didn’t mean they were getting down and dirty.”

“Bev, why haven’t you said anything about Pete’s affairs?” Harlow patted her friend’s hand. “You know you can tell us anything. The three musketeers. We’re here for each other, no matter what the problem.”

“Because I didn’t want to look like a loser in your eyes. Everyone looked up to mine and Pete’s relationship. We have it all. Marriage, two point five children and a mini-van in the driveway as you pointed out. We weren’t supposed to have issues. We were too perfect for that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment