Monday, January 14, 2013

Last Week's Progress


Last week marked the first full week back to the daily 9-5 work grind for me. With it brought the first full week of restarting my freelancing career. I normally launch a fresh start in September when school begins, but in all honesty 2012 was one of the hardest years I’ve had in a long time.

In 2012 I continued to struggle with postpartum depression…I fought to overcome a flare up of my Crohns disease (something I’m still fighting, but winning the battle). At the day job I lost my co-worker of six years. It was to retirement and I knew it would come eventually, but it still hurt. That meant taking on an additional work load. Add to that I was learning two other jobs to help others who couldn’t take a vacation because they had no back up. To say I was overworked would be an understatement. So redoing my freelancing schedule just wasn’t in the cards.

I’m pleased to say that I was recognized at my day job and things are starting to settle down. My boss hired someone to help me and I see relief in sight. YAY

I took the time to map out my first week of work and I had two to-do lists. I accomplished everything on my lists, except to find a primary doctor. It wasn’t from lack of trying. The doctor’s office was very short staffed and having difficulty staying on the line while jumping back and forth to patients. It seems the flu hit the office hard. I decided it best to call back this week.

At five o’clock on Friday evening my to-do list was complete and I had three queries out to editors. I was jumping up and down with the progress. I also submitted a Chicken Soup for the Soul story.

My health is on the mend and my energy levels are coming back up. I see a light at the end of the tunnel and even though a few of the magazines I wrote for on a regular basis have gone by the wayside I’m determined to find new homes to write for in 2013.

13 has always been my lucky number, so I feel the whole year will bring me new luck and new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment